Child and Pet safety are a top priority at Blinds Brothers. That is why we offer a variety of child and pet safe window treatments to reduce the risk of accidents. Blinds Brothers offers blinds and shades with the “Best for Kids” designation that have been rigorously tested and free from hazards due to pull cords or inner cords. All our shutters – always cord-free – are kid-friendly by nature.
Visit this website for more information about the WCMA and its latest safety standards.
Window Covering Safety Tips
- Replace all window coverings in the home made before 2001 with today’s safer products.
- Install only cordless window coverings in young children’s bedrooms and sleeping areas.
- Move all cribs, beds, furniture and toys away from windows and window cords, preferably to another wall.
- Keep all window pull cords, inner lift cords and back cords out of the reach of children. Make sure:
- Tasseled pull cords are always out of reach, whether the window treatment is raised or lowered.
- Lock cords into position whenever horizontal blinds or shades are lowered, including when they come to rest on a windowsill.
- Cord stops are properly installed and adjusted to limit movement of inner lift cords.
- Wrap the pull cord around a cord cleat which is securely mounted to the wall when the blind or shade is not in use.
- Continuous cord loops are permanently anchored to the floor or wall.
- Never mount products with back cords, such as Roman and Woven Wood Shades, in windows accessible to children.